The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is considering holding the remaining matches in September, postponing the IPL for an indefinite period following the corona explosion in the bio-bubble. Currently, the BCCI has not provided any official information on this. There have been 29 matches in the 60 matches of the IPL 2021 and now the BCCI is exploring the possibility of hosting the remaining 31 matches in September. An IPL franchise official said, ‘September window is being considered. By then, the England-India series is over and foreign players are preparing for the T20 World Cup. This small window is being considered.
Even IPL president Brijesh Patel has not ruled out this possibility. He said, ‘Now we need to find a window. If we get one we will catch it. We’ll have to see if that is possible in September. We need to look at the plans of the ICC and other boards. ‘Another franchise official who responded to Patel’s statement said that September was a long time and it remains to be seen what happened to Corona at that time.
The IPL 2021 has been postponed for the upcoming T20 World Cup in the UAE
The corruption outbreak of the T20 World Cup in India from October 18 to November 15 is also in doubt. India are the designated hosts, but the UAE has been retained as a stand-by option. Some IPL and BCCI officials had previously called on some franchises to get their views on the future of the tournament and some believed it should be canceled altogether.
Currently, BCCI and the franchisee are focused on sending their team members safely to their homes. Charter flights are reserved for Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Ranchi and Delhi. At the same time, BCCI has told teams that Australia and England are coordinating with foreign boards to send their players amid a travel ban to India.
IPL has been postponed due to corona, the board will ensure the safe return of players
Meanwhile, in a joint statement by Cricket Australia (CA) and the Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA), the Australian government has not received any exemption from returning players amid travel restrictions on India. South African players, meanwhile, are allowed to return home, although they are required to maintain a home line according to World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines. In a statement, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said, “We are in close contact with our players and India’s staff because they have been arranged to return home safely.”