The USA lottery is one not to miss! If you are interested in playing the American lotto from India, this is for you. You will find in this article all you need to know about the USA online lottery games and how to play them. Here we go!
Lotteries in the USA dates back to the country’s colonial period in America. At that time, citizens and public officials played in North America where winners were offered prizes in cash or kind.
In 1616, The Virginia Company of London was the first to hold the lottery officially in America to raise funds for the colonial enterprise. This was promoted by King Charles.
The lotteries became a huge source of financial income in Jamestown, Virginia, which was the first permanent settlement in the USA. Before long, other colonies sought to raise revenue through lottery playing. This led to 13 other colonies establishing their own lottery in USA. As a result, playing the lottery became a civic duty.
The evolution of lotteries in the USA continued till they became a societal resource. It was used to fund both private and public initiatives. Churches and libraries were built with lottery profits, and some of America’s oldest universities were also founded with earnings from the lottery. Lotto playing resulted in the development of America.
In the 19th century, lotteries were criticized and outlawed in many states due to various scandals and the belief that it was targeted at exploiting poor people in America. These emanated as a result of moral and religious beliefs circulating in USA at the time.
This could not stop the interest of people in the lottery. Consequently, people started seeking to play the lottery illegally and this continued until 1934. This ended when the first state lottery was established in 1964 by New Hampshire, and many other states soon did the same thing.
In 1985, several states in USA built upon the success of their state lotteries to form Tri-State Megabucks, the nation’s first joint-state lottery game.
A few states in USA came together to form the joint Lottery Association in 1988, which created the Powerball lottery and Mega Millions games in 1992 and 1996.
According to Lottothrill information, 45 states out of 50 in the offer online USA lottery games.
Powerball is the most famous lottery in America. It was inaugurated on April 19, 1992 and its drawings were held on Wednesdays and Saturdays till August 21, 2021.
Thereafter, an additional day for weekly drawing (Monday) was added on August 23, 2021. It is now drawn on Saturdays, Mondays and Wednesday evenings.
To win, you must guess five numbers correctly and the Powerball number.
ABOUT MEGA MILLIONS
The American Mega Millions was originally known as “The Big Game” in 1996 till the name was changed six years later. After Powerball, It is America’s second-biggest lotto. Each game in Mega millions cost $2.
6 out of 10 of America’s largest jackpots have been produced by the Powerball while the remaining four go to the Mega Millions lotto. In 2016, Powerball awarded a $1586 million jackpot which is the highest in the history of USA lottery.
One winning ticket from Mega Millions was sold in South Carolina, America on the October 23rd, 2018 drawing for $1.537 billion. This is the largest jackpot win to date. The winner anonymously claimed the prize in March 2019.
USA STATE LOTTERIES
State lotteries in America include the following:
- California lotto: California lotto is managed by the state of California, America. It was initiated in 1984 by California voters. It is played daily.
- NYC Lotto: It is the lottery established by New York, USA and it began in 1967. It is located in Schenectady. The minimum age for the NYC lottery is 18, but the minimum age for Quick Draw (a keno game drawn four minutes apart) where alcohol is served is 21. It is played daily too.
- Florida Lotto: In Florida, the Florida Lotto is drawn two times a week at 11:15 p.m. ET on Saturdays and Wednesdays also. A single ball machine is used with numbered balls ranging from 1 through 53.
- Cash4Life: It is drawn from Sunday to Saturday at 9:00 pm ET. The first sales of tickets were done on June 13, 2014 in New York and New Jersey; its first drawing took place three days later.
- Texas Lotto: On November 7, 1992, Lotto Texas was introduced in America. Its first draw held on November 14, 1992, and the first jackpot won on November 28, 1992. By the lottery’s first anniversary, it had sold over $1 billion in tickets. It is drawn on Wednesdays and Saturdays weekly. All players must be at least 18 years old.
- NJ PICK6XTRA: The Pick-6 Xtra draws six balls each Monday and Thursday. About 10 states in USA participate in this game. The game costs $1 each. The jackpot begins at $2 million and goes up by at least $200k ulntil a 6-of-6 winner is drawn. It began on May 9, 1980.
- Megabucks doubler: It is a part of the Massachusetts Lotto which began on September 27, 1971. On Saturdays and Wednesdays, the Megabucks Doubler is drawn. Its jackpot begins at $500,000, with cash options. 6 numbers are chosen from 1 to 49, Matching 5 out of 6 numbers wins $2,500, Matching 4 out of 6 numbers wins $100 and matching 3 of 6 wins $2.
HOW TO PLAY THE USA LOTTERIES IN INDIA.
There are two ways to participate in the American lotto as an Indian. The first way is to travel to America in person. Secondly, you can alternatively choose to play it online. There are a lot of USA lottery sites you can play through. They include Lottoland, Lotto247 and Playhugelottos.
The USA lotteries are very profitable and are worth billions of dollars. Indeed, the lotto in America is an inexhaustible goldmine. Your opportunities to win are increased when you participate the more. Whether you’re an Indian at home or in the diaspora, you can still access the American lottos online.