Bhadrapada Amavasya 2020: Bhadrapada (Bhado) Amavasya is 18 August 2020 this year i.e. today. Bhado also knows Amavasya as Pithori Amavasya. Goddess Durga is worshiped on this day. It is believed that Mother Parvati had described the importance of Pithori Amavasya on the new moon day of the Krishna Paksha of Bhado. Bhado Amavasya has special significance in Sanatan Dharma. Pitra tarpan and donation also have special significance on this day. According to the scriptures, Pithori or Bhado Amavasya is also said to be good to get rid of Kalasarpa dosha.
What to do and what not to do on Amavasya Tithi
1. On Amavasya Tithi, there is a law to pay ancestors. In astrology, this date is the last date on the lunar month.
2. Bathing and donating Ganga has special significance on Amavasya.
3. It is forbidden to perform auspicious tasks on this day.
4. In this date, plowing or plowing field is also prohibited.
5. It is believed that peace is taught on the date of birth of a child.
6. It is said that Amavasya should follow good conduct and celibacy.
7. On the day of Amavasya, anger, fight or quarrel should not be consumed.
8. It is believed that on this day in the morning, a lamp must be lit on the temple and Tulsi. This removes family strife and poverty.
9. It is said in the scriptures that fasting Amavasya is good. It is auspicious to fast fast on this date.
10. It is said that Amavasya should not be eaten at anyone’s home. It is said that doing so does not give merit.