Here are some interesting facts you may not know about Mahatma Gandhi:
1. Gujarati is the mother tongue of Mahatma Gandhi.
2. Gandhiji was born as the youngest son in his family. They had two brothers and one sister.
3. Gandhiji finished his schooling at Alfred High School, Rajkot.
4. Mahadev was the personal secretary of Desai Gandhi.
5. Gandhi spoke English like an Irishman. Because one of his first English teachers was from Ireland.
6. The famous author Leo Tolstoy and Gandhiji communicated with each other through letters.
7. Gandhi founded a small settlement called Tolstoy Farm on 1100 acres, 21 miles from Johannesburg, South Africa, for his colleagues in the Satyagraha.
8. Gandhi fought not only for freedom but also for the fair treatment of the untouchables and the lower castes. He also undertook fasting truths. They call the untouchables Harijans “children of God.”
9. In 1982, “Gandhi”, a historical drama film based on Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, won an academic award for best film.
10. In 1930, Time Magazine named Gandhi “Man of the Year”.
11. Mahatma Gandhi was nominated 5 times for the Nobel Peace Prize.
12. During World War II, Gandhi wrote a letter to Hitler asking him to stop the war. He addressed Hitler as “dear friend”. But Hitler never answered those letters.
13. The stamp was issued by the British in his honor 21 years after the death of Gandhiji.
14. Gandhiji was not born of the title ‘Mahatma’. Nobel laureate Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore gave Gandhi the title of Mahatma.
15. When Jawaharlal Nehru’s attempt to address the independence of Destiny’s speech was not attended by Gandhi.
16. Godse assassinated Gandhi in the garden of the former Birla House.
17. Mahatma Gandhi’s funeral was 8 kilometers long.
18. In 1996, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) issued “The Gandhi Series Notes” with a portrait of Mahatma Gandhi.
19. In 1959, the Gandhi Memorial Museum was established in Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India. It is also called the Gandhi Museum.